Following on from requests to assist developing umpires within Clubs, Ulster Hockey in partnership with the Umpires Committee have arranged a number of workshops in January across the province.
The purpose of the workshops is to offer support and guidance to all club umpires, no matter at what level, in order to assist, develop their skills, improve confidence, and attain consistency in decision making and rules interpretation.
The format for the workshop will be as follows:-
- Pre-match preparation
- Areas of control & Positioning – Open play/Penalty Corners/Penalty Strokes.
- Communication and control – Cards, Signals, Verbal, where to send suspended players.
- Game Management – Players/Benches/Spectators.
- Identifying and explaining offences
- Areas of Difficulty – self pass, free hits, aerials, 5 metres, obstruction, etc
- Code of Conduct
- Question and Answer session
*** You will be expected to have a basic knowledge of the rules of hockey. This is NOT a rules test. However rules interpretations will be discussed, along with club umpire support.
Date: Monday 10th January
Venue: North Down Cricket Club
Date: Tuesday 18th January
Venue: Foyle College
Date: Tuesday 25th January
Venue: Edenvilla Park, Portadown
Cost: £15 per person
Places are limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis and will only be confirmed upon receipt of payment.