Lisnagarvey Secure Anderson Cup Title

Share this article

Lisnagarvey lifted the Anderson Cup on Monday night with a 3-1 win over arch rivals Banbridge at Havelock Park to end their season on a high note.


The game signalled a disappointing end to Bann coach Mark Tumilty’s term in charge after he had already indicated he was stepping down at the end of the season.


But for Garvey the result ended a two-game losing sequence following their defeats in both the Champions Trophy final and the Irish Senior Cup decider.


It’s been a terrific season for the Hillsborough side, who had earlier claimed the regulation EYHL title, earning them a place in Europe next year.


Few people outside of the club would have given Garvey much chance of that achievement, considering they lost a host of top line players going into the campaign.


Garvey captain James Corry said: “It was always going to be a tough game last night and we didn’t start particularly well.”


“Bann were on top In the beginning but it was comfortable enough in the second half. We looked extremely dangerous going forward after the break and thankfully we did enough to get the trophy.”


“This season has been great with two silver medals and two gold. To do the double with such a young team is unheard of and certainly very positive going into next season.”


“We will rest up now and be ready to go again come September. We know next year will require more hard work and determination to achieve success but the guys can’t wait to get going again already.”


Despite easily beating Instonians in Saturday’s semi, whereas Bann were on the back of a much longer break, the hosts looked the fresher team at the start of the game.


The two great rivals played out a closely contested first half, Garvey establishing a narrow 2-1 lead before making the game safe with a third goal after the break.


James Lorimer gave the away team an early lead when he fired the ball into the roof of the net from a penalty corner, giving Bann keeper Luke Roleston no chance.


Ben Nelson doubled the Garvey lead shortly afterwards when he won back possession before shooting home to put his team in the driving seat.


But Ireland star Eugene Magee gave the hosts fresh hope when he pulled a goal back before the break, firing high into the net from a trademark drag flick at a set piece.


However, any hopes Bann had of a comeback and forcing a penalty shootout were dispelled 16 minutes from the end when Matthew Nelson finished off a flowing move involving Cole Chambers, Daniel Nelson and Andy Williamson to wrap things up.


Supporters & Partners

Official Charity Partner

Recruitment Partner