Match Report: Lisnagarvey win Millar McCall Wylie Kirk Cup

Share this article

After a thrilling final, Lisnagarvey were triumphant and crowned champions of the Millar McCall Wylie Kirk Cup, beating Banbridge on penalty run-ins following a 2-2 draw.

Garvey have now won the tournament back-to-back having also beaten the same opponents last year.

In a dramatic start with six minutes gone, the ball fell to Louis Rowe in the circle who took a touch to set himself, before his low reverse effort beat goalkeeper James Milliken to make it 1-0.

The scores were soon level when Oliver Kidd’s short corner found a foot on the line and a penalty flick was awarded. Andrew Edgar stepped up to take it and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to make it 1-1, five minutes before the end of the period.

In the second quarter, the high-pressing Banbridge continued to see most of the ball, but Garvey had the best chance early on.

Kidd managed to get to the by-line before squaring a pass across the face of goal. However, none of his teammates were there to get a decisive touch.

As the half came to a close the home side began to grow into the game and looked more of a threat, but neither side could find another goal before the break.

Just a minute into the second half came a golden chance for Banbridge. Rowe put in a brilliant cross for James Evans but he mis-controlled at the back post and the chance was squandered.

Moments later Rowe again had another opportunity, but Lorimer was quick off his line to make the challenge. The loose ball was then played across goal for an open net as Matthew McKee made it 2-1.

Garvey went close soon after when Kidd took a shot on the turn from the top of the circle. However, visiting Captain Mark Cowan was there to make an excellent block.

In the final stages of the period Garvey had their best chance since going behind. An initial short corner was well saved before a series of rebounds were both blocked and saved to keep it 2-1.

With eight minutes remaining the scores were level once more. Andy Williamson’s short corner was saved but only half cleared before Peter McKibbin beat his man and calmly found the top corner from close range.

Garvey continued to pile on the late pressure and almost sealed the win late on. Williamson had the ball land at his stick following a save by the goalkeeper but saw his snapshot from the edge of the circle magnificently saved by Roleston with 30 seconds left.

With the scores level at the final whistle the sides went to penalty run-ins. After four each it was Garvey who led as Banbridge had to score their final penalty. However, after a foul by Milliken the visitors were awarded a penalty flick.

Louis Rowe stepped up to take and saw his effort saved after the goalkeeper went the right way with the miss meaning the cup would stay in Lisnagarvey for the second year running.

Supporters & Partners

Official Charity Partner

Recruitment Partner