QUB seal big opening day win as women’s hockey returns

Share this article

This weekend marked the return of the Legacy Ulster Women’s Premier League with all ten teams back in action.

Despite a shock defeat for recently relegated Belfast Harlequins at Portadown, it was Queen’s University who got the result of the weekend.

The students played hosts to Premier League stalwarts Banbridge and came out on top as they won 8-1 at The Dub.

It was 1-0 to Queen’s after just six minutes through Jenna McCarlie before Eva Gaston doubled their advantage.

From there the side proved untouchable as Alyssa Jebb got the divisions first hat-trick of the season, whilst strikes from Katie Kimber, Rhiannon Coulter and Ireland international Zoe Wilson rounded off the scoring.

The second game of the day saw Ballymoney seal a comfortable 3-0 win over Armagh at the Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre.

Having taken the lead through Katherine Boyd after just seven minutes the County Antrim side scored two goals either side of the half time break through Rebecca Ross and Nikki Parke to extend their lead to 3-0.

In Hillsborough, hockey giants Lisnagarvey fell to an opening day defeat to title hopefuls Ards.

The two sides played out a close encounter as it took until the 24th minute for the opening goal. The strike fell the way of the visitors as Suzie Cotter gave her side the lead, however, it would only last 15 minutes before Diane Robb drew the hosts level.

Then with 57 minutes on the clock it was Cotter who got both her sides and her own second of the game which proved decisive and marked a winning return to the division for Ards.

The final game on Saturday saw newly promoted Omagh hold last season’s runners-up Lurgan to a 0-0 draw at home.

The result proved to be another shock result on the opening day and leaves both teams mid-table after the points were shared evenly.

Meanwhile, there was one game on Friday night as Portadown hosted title contenders Belfast Harlequins at Edenvilla.

Despite Julie Dennison giving the visitors the lead after just thirteen minutes, the home side came from behind to secure a 3-1 win.

The youthful side drew level when Katie Herron won possession high up the pitch before beating the goalkeeper in the second quarter.

With the hosts growing in confidence Rebekah Lennon gave her side the lead from a penalty corner before Emily Adamson rounded the goalkeeper to double her sides lead and secure a 3-1 victory on matchday one.

Supporters & Partners

Official Charity Partner

Recruitment Partner