Omagh victorious as they lift Senior One title

Share this article

Senior One Champions Omagh received their League title as they beat Bangor 3-2.

They had already won the division with two games to spare and will now play in the Premier League next season.

The first quarter saw very little goal-mouth action, whilst Omagh had most of the possession and looked most likely to create something, but their visitors remained strong at the back.

Then with just seconds left in the period, it was Bangor who took a shock lead. After finding a foot in the circle they were awarded a penalty corner, which a training ground routine ended as Lucie McNaught scored the opening goal.

The Champions first serious chance of the game came just five minutes into the second quarter. Katie McDowell launched the counter attack before playing through Amy McCollum, but she put her effort wide of the far post.

Just moments later they found their equaliser as Captain Laura White did brilliantly to beat her opposing player before playing the ball into the circle. Waiting in prime position was McDowell, with her deflection taking the effort away from the goalkeeper to make it 1-1.

It was Bangor who finished the half strongest with a flurry of late chances and eventually they got their reward.

McNaught found herself free in the penalty area but saw her reverse effort saved by Alison Long in goal. However, the rebound fell perfectly for Bangor’s Brooke Stranaghan to give her side the lead again.

They continued to create early in the second half and came within inches of doubling their lead. Erin McKinley got a shot off from a tight angle, but couldn’t find the target as her shot went wide at the far post.

Instead it was the home side who got the next goal, through a piece of individual brilliance. McDowell beat several defenders in the circle before her strike from the penalty spot found the roof of the net, clipping the bar on the way in to make it 2-2.

Midway through the final quarter the Champions took the lead for the first time. After a series of short corners, a goal line scramble saw the ball finally cross the line with Amy McCollum getting the decisive touch.

A lively Bangor continued to throw players forward in the latter stages however, some resilient defending meant they couldn’t find an equaliser and they fell to a 3-2 defeat.

The result means the gap at the top extends to five points, with Omagh having one league game left to play.

That game will come in the form of a trip to NICS in just under two weeks whilst Bangor have now finished their League campaign.

By Andrew Morrison

Supporters & Partners

Official Charity Partner

Recruitment Partner